Blender News FORUMS General Help TROUBLE WITH BACKGROUND IMAGE

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Titalus 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• TROUBLE WITH BACKGROUND IMAGE

zonkerzebra
    Participant

I have a background image loaded in the 3d viewport to use as a reference for my model. Every time I close, then re-open the program, the image is gone and I have to reload it again. It doesn’t do this in regular Blender format. Any suggestions?

Sensei
    Sensei
    Keymaster

Hi. This is because the Blender developers thought it was a good idea to have “background images” be included as part of the user’s personal interface in a file, which is wrong. That means if the “Load UI” option found under File > User Preferences > “File” tab (at the top of user preferences window) is unchecked, that background images (the kind used for references) won’t load with the saved file.

This option is disabled by default in Sensei Format because with it enabled, if you were to open a blender file say, downloaded from another site, you would lose your workspaces and layout which sucks. If you’re only working with your personal files that you’ve saved since installing Sensei Format, then you should be ok to use this option so you can see your background images when re-opening files. So checkmark the “Load UI” option and press “Save User Settings” at the bottom of the user preferences window before exiting and you’ll be able to see your saved background images. Just be aware that with “Load UI” enabled, whenever opening another’s blend file (or an old blend file of your own) that you’ll lose your Sensei Format layout and workspaces. That is, you will lose your layout while working on that file (you’ll still have your Sensei Format layout when opening new files even with this option enabled).

Titalus
      Participant

Is there any chance you’ve contacted the build 2.8 team to suggest they move background image data to the blend file? That way we can continue working after a save with Sensei, but also be able to have image sets set up for different projects. In addition, does Blender support images on custom views? So if you create your own named view, it allows a background image for that? That would also be a nice feature as sometimes you get reference images both on an angle and from the orthos. One could rotate and then un-rotate, but that seems a bit cumbersome. Thanks!

zonkerzebra
    Participant

Thanks very much!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.