Blender News FORUMS Sensei Format Help select by group brokes

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by SteveS SteveS 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• select by group brokes

tzills
    Participant

hi – using a vanilla install of the latest sensei and blender the select by group button on the bottom doesn’t show up. it was mentioned on the youtube vid but I’m seeing nothing. Would greatly appreciate it if you took a look

Sensei
    Sensei
    Keymaster

Which video? I thought I went back and annotated them but I might have missed one. That feature has been moved to the Builder options menu in the Tool shelf (press T in the 3D View) located between where it says “Set Origin” and the small gray cursor icon which will move your selection to the position of the 3D Cursor. The menu button is blank and sandwiched between the two buttons described.

tzills
    Participant

whoa! secret button- finally found it!
    bad news I immediately found a bug :( – I’m not on the vanilla install so I may be mistaken. Double click to deselect is not working – it selects the group again on mouse up. If you use the deselect from the menu, it acts a bit different, but still selects again. After restarting I still have a problem.
    something to do with mouse handler?

Sensei
    Sensei
    Keymaster

Not on the vanilla install of what? Blender or Sensei Format? Do you mean you’re not using the latest version of Sensei Format or Blender, or do you just mean you have other addons running with the latest version of Sensei Format?

And yep. Good find. This has been fixed for the next release which should be out in a couple of days. Thanks.
    The inability to double click to select/deselect all was a product of “Select By Group” being a macro fired when the mouse click releases, so the issue was only happening when the “Select By Group” option was turned on. Of Course double clicking in edit mode whether or not that option is activated still works. All though there’s no need to not have an object selected in Blender… this is something people have been programmed to do which serves no purpose. Rather than first deselecting everything, and then selecting a single object, you can just select a single object and everything else will become deselected except for your new selection, allowing you to bypass this middle, unnecessary step. There will never be a reason ever, in object mode that you need nothing selected as opposed to one object… it’s just a psychological crutch, in any case it’s been fixed.

ekureuil
    Participant

Just as remark, i stumbled upon this “select by group” problem while watching video “Groups And Group Instancing”, in which you talk about this feature at the 10:00 mark. There is no message there indicating its updated UI location.

Sensei
    Sensei
    Keymaster

@ekureuil,

Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve updated that video to mention the new location and the fact that “Select By Group” is no longer on by default. For anyone else reading this topic, the Builder options menu is now indicated by a mobile options menu icon (three small stacked lines) in the Builder menu located at the top left of the toolshelf next to where it says “Set Origin” (“T” to access toolshelf).

SteveS
    SteveS
    Participant

Could also update Crash Course Video 17 @ about 14:00/19:35 minutes. No mention of the Groups button being moved to Sensei tool shelf under Builder (3 parallel lines). Just spent 1/2 an hour searching videos etc to find out where mine had gone.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.