Blender News FORUMS Crash Course Review Question on mug model

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ejkrch 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Question on mug model

ejkrch
    Participant

At the 9:20 mark of the Subsurface Modeling tutorial, after doing the extrusion you can clearly see that you were left with faces though the edges were very close together. I’ve followed the steps as exactly as I could many times now but when I do the extrusion I’m left with only one edge and no discernible faces. After you explained what was going on you switched to plan B to scale up and then grab back down, I cannot do that because it won’t let me scale the edge. I can form a lip using other means but it bugs me that I can’t reproduce what you are doing. Any thoughts?

Sensei
    Sensei
    Keymaster

Don’t fret over small stones that cause you to stumble here and there.

ejkrch
      Participant

Thanks for the thought. I was finally able to reproduce the result in the tutorial. Create a cylinder. W,W,W. Edit Mode. Select top face. E-Key but instead of left clicking immediately, jog it up slightly in Z then left click. Complete the rest of the steps then when you hit the E-key in the step I referred to in my post you’re left with a small band just like in the tutorial. In fact, the size of the band depends on how much you lift the surface in the first extrude. After many, many attempts that was the only way I could get the result that let me complete the rest of the mug. At 3:03 of the tutorial you can see you jogging the surface up before freezing the extrusion. Didn’t see that until after I figured out all the stuff above. Anyway, we got it. Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.