Blender News FORUMS Crash Course Review COURSE CHALLENGE: Primitive Transform

This topic contains 99 replies, has 38 voices, and was last updated by Sensei Sensei 1 week, 2 days ago.

• COURSE CHALLENGE: Primitive Transform
    Sensei
    Sensei
    Keymaster

This challenge is for anyone taking this course. There are no due dates (this challenge is open forever basically) and you can submit as many entries as you like. The point of these challenges is to help each individual improve their skills. So go ahead, jump in!

THE CHALLENGE: What can you make using only the top 8 basic primitive shapes found in the “Mesh” menu of the “Add” menu and your sweet transformation skills learned thus far? Here’s my submission below (the one created in the tutorial video).

The basic guidelines for this challenge are:

• You can’t use materials or modifiers.
    • No edit mode mesh editing (just transformation done in Object mode “rotation, location, scale type stuff”).
    • You may use “Smooth” shading (or anything else you see me use in the video).
    • You may use as many of the top 8 basic primitive shapes as you want.
    • No environment images or colored lighting should be used but you may add lamps (image should be black & white).
    • Blender Render or Cycles rendering may be used.
    • The content of the render may be anything… an outdoor scene, a sword, a spaceship, a table, a robot etc…
    • Upload the image as a JPEG and include “Primitive Transform Challenge” at the beginning of the title.
    • No deadlines. This is a permanent part of the course, and you’re welcome to add multiple submissions!
    • The goal here is to enhance your transformation skills in Blender!

• Replies

airguy1988
    Participant

First time using Blender/Sensei. Experienced with Autodesk Inventor/Fusion 360. I’m a photographer so I thought this to be only natural. Need to learn wayyyy more about blender, and remember it. lol Thanks for the killer course; the fact that it’s free is astounding. Thank you.
    Keith

Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

You’re welcome Keith. Nice camera!

Hiryakos
    Participant

first time using Sensei. I made classroom scene.I think it looks like it. I think I will make i better after finishing the course.

Attachments:
      Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

Great job! Thanks for posting.

higgoman
    Participant

I love the add-on and the crush course just started it the other day.
    Have had some previous experience with blender in a multimedia course i have done

Just some clown heads

Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

Great use of the challenge. Thanks for posting.

ernani aguilar
    Participant

hi this is the result of my exercise last week which i would like to share.

Attachments:
      Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

Nice work. Thanks for posting. Looks like some of the cones (your tree tops) have been duplicated over one another. This is what’s causing the strange black pixelation. Render engines usually don’t like it when one mesh is sitting exactly on top of another. Just so you know what’s causing that effect in the future. Otherwise, looks great!

ernani aguilar
        Participant

hi there,

okay, I will remember this information from you, thank a lot of great information.

respectfully
        ernani

Sayem Ahmed
    Participant

primitive transform challenge:
    hope you will like this. facing some issues when i render sometimes blender doesnt respond and closes.and facing issue with light.

also when i duplicate an mesh i cant move them separately until i go press “T” and click separate button.

otherwise you are teaching great.
    thanks..

Attachments:
      Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

Hi. Looks good! Thanks for posting. Glad you’re liking the course. Would need a lot more detail about each issue you’re having and possibly some screen shots. If you want help you can post your issues in the “Sensei Format Help” forum. Post them one at a time and provide as much detail regarding each issue as you can. Thanks.

gjulio
    gjulio
    Participant

I really like Sensei Format it makes learning and understanding blender easy. I have the Armory 3D version of blender and sensei format is the only mod that works with this version of blender. Your are a really good teacher and I believe once i finish the crash course I will be making games and game assets in no time.

Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

Dude, that’s so awesome! Thanks for posting. Glad to hear Sensei Format is helping you bring your visions to life!

Glenson
    Participant

I am a beginner with Blender but here is my attempt for the Primitive Transform Challenge.
    I was able to create the blocks and to position them. I then figured out how to create the doors and to have one rotate on a hinge. I whimsically added a monkey as a totem on the roof.
    What I need help with is to control the lighting and shadows. My picture looks washed out.
    Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

What I need help with is to control the lighting and shadows

Hi. That’s what the rest of the course is for. This challenge is just about creating geometry.

MadamMonkey
    MadamMonkey
    Participant

So nice to finally make more then a perfect cube, here is my little scene – coffee anybody?

Jim Lucas
    Participant

This started out as a triumphal arch, but turned into some kind of monkey memorial park.

Crash Course is great!

Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

Thanks Jim! And aghhh! I love this!

SuddenlySteveTV
    SuddenlySteveTV
    Participant

Second time trying to learn blender, first time using Sensei. I made an Inkling from Splatoon. The arms are Torus, which I posed by putting the 3D Cursor in the center of the elbow/shoulder sphere, then selected the arm and rotated it around the 3D Cursor. This is fun so far and I can’t wait to see what I learn next.

Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

Super cool! Glad you’re having a better go of it this time around.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.