Blender News FORUMS General Help How does Draw topology work?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Sensei Sensei 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• How does Draw topology work?

Jikito
    Participant

Thank you for making blender sensei, for once i am actually not screaming and running from blender like i have for the last several years, and making actual progress.
    your loving work actually puts fun into using the nightmare behemoth.

I have been watching your videos many a late night with a case of mountain dew on the side, and just went through draw mesh and draw Skin tutorials. as i was going through them I noticed when you press shift A there is a third little toy.. called draw Topology.

I may have been missing something, but i could not find a tutorial on it. How does the Draw topology feature work?

Sensei
    Sensei
    Keymaster

Thanks. I’m glad you’re making good use of it. Draw Topo is a tool I’m developing to help speed up the retopology process. I haven’t made any tutorials on this feature yet. I’m waiting until after the new sculpting tutorials are completed (then we’ll have a good reason to retopologize things). You can learn more about it here:

https://blendersensei.com/sensei-format-update-log/
    (scroll down to V. 5.0.5)

Jikito
    Participant

Cant wait to see more videos!

gcshep3
    Participant

Hi is there any more info on the Draw topology now that Sensei has been updated

Best Regards
    George

Sensei
      Sensei
      Keymaster

Hi. I’ve been steeped in a huge development period. I’m actually about to release a vlog regarding new features currently being developed (much surrounding draw mesh, draw topo and draw skin). Some big changes are coming to these tools, and some feature update videos will be released following the newest version of Sensei Format. The existing menus for these tools, are honestly pretty confusing, that’s part of what’s getting updated. I’ll try to cover at least a little bit about how they currently work in an upcoming dev vlog though, so people can get some use out of them.

gcshep3
        Participant

Thank you very much for the update.

Best Regards
        George

Sensei
        Sensei
        Keymaster

Hi. Sorry, release of the vlog was canceled. The menu that’s added in the toolshelf explains most of what’s going on with the Draw Topo tool. You can also (as with any button) hover your mouse over the menu items that become visible when you add a Draw Topo object to see what they do (located in the 3D View toolshelf, left side of the screen when you press “T”). All of the buttons in the Draw Topo menu that appear once you’ve added the Draw Topo object display the same information, which is a list describing each icon, and what each button using said icon does.

The detail slider will cause your Draw Topo object to conform more tightly to the object (when working with highly detailed sculpts). Of course holding V creates a grease stroke and pressing Shift-V converts those strokes into mesh, same basic premise as with the Draw Mesh tool (see the Draw Mesh Blender Sensei Youtube video for more on that). Pressing “Finish Draw Topo” will complete the operation and hide the object which you were using the Draw Topo object on so you can more clearly see the results of your retopologized object.

For sure, an actual tutorial for this is needed, but it’s going to have to wait until the next version of Sensei Format is released and these tools get updated. Sorry for the delay. Thanks.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.